spark-user mailing list archives

From Gourav Sengupta <gourav.sengu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is Spark suited for this use case?
Date Wed, 25 Oct 2017 06:36:45 GMT
Hi Saravanan,

SPARK may be free, but to make it run with the same level of performance,
consistency, and reliability will show you that SPARK or HADOOP or anything
else is essentially not free. With Informatica you pay for the licensing
and have almost no headaches as far as stability, upgrades, and reliability
is concerned.

If you want to deliver the same with SPARK, then the costs will start
escalating as you will have to go with SPARK vendors.

As with everything else my best analogy is dont use a fork for drinking
soup. SPARK works wonderfully with huge scale of data, SPARK cannot read
Oracle Binary Log files or provides a change data capture capability, for
your used case with such low volumes and solutions like Informatica and
Golden Gate, I think that you are already using optimal solutions.

Of course I am presuming that you DO NOT replicate your entire 6TB of MDM
platform everyday and just use CDC to transfer data to your data center for
reporting purposes.

In case you are interested in super fast reporting using AWS Redshift then
please do let me know, I have delivered several end-to-end hybrid data
warehouse solutions and will be happy to help you with the same.

Regards,
Gourav Sengupta

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 5:32 AM, van den Heever, Christian CC <
Christian.vandenHeever@standardbank.co.za> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> We basically have the same scenario but worldwide as we have bigger
> Datasets we use OGG à local à Sqoop Into Hadoop.
>
> By all means you can have spark reading the oracle tables and then do some
> changes to data in need which will not be done on scoop qry. Ie fraudulent
> detection on transaction records.
>

> But some time the simplest way is the best. Unless you need a change or
> need more then I would advise not using another hop.
>
> I would rather move away from files as OGG can do files and direct table
>

> Simpler is better.
>

> Hope this helps.
>
> C.

disclaimer and confidentiality note. Kindly email disclaimer@standardbank.co.za (no content
or subject line necessary) if you cannot view that page and we will email our email disclaimer
and confidentiality note to you.