Kanchan,
the `toDebugString` looks unformatted because in some scenarios you need to parse it before (can't remember the reason, though). I suggest you to print the RDD Lineage using
`print(rdd.toDebugString().decode("utf-8"))` instead (obs: this only occurs in Pyspark).

About the other question, you may use `getNumberPartitions`.