spot-dev mailing list archives

From jar...@apache.org
Subject Re: [Proposal] PR voting process changes
Date Thu, 21 Sep 2017 20:44:09 GMT
I would recommend to make contributing to Spot as easily as possible because any hurdle or
obstacle will make contributing harder and thus will discourage potential long term contributors.

Pretty much all other projects that I’m involved with at ASF are following something in
the lines of what Nate is describing. Anyone on the internet can submit a patch and all it
takes is a single committer who does review and then the patch is merged to master branch.
Some projects do a “cool off" window before the “review” and “merge” to make sure
that other committers have time to jump in - projects like Hadoop and Hive tend to give 24
hours, projects like Sqoop or Flume simply commit immediately. Any other committer however
have always a chance to jump in and pretty much VETO the patch — provided there is a good
explanation for the push back.

Jarcec