sqoop-user mailing list archives

From Mark Grover <m...@apache.org>
Subject How does sqoop export detect Avro schema?
Date Mon, 02 Mar 2015 00:29:28 GMT
Hi Sqoop folks,
I am trying to better understand how sqoop export works.

In the sqoop export command, we don't put any information about the
metadata of the HDFS data being exported. So, how does sqoop figure out the
avro schema of the data being exported?

Does it use Kite's .metadata directory for this? If so, that'd mean you
can't export data not populated by Kite. I don't think that's the case.
Does it parse our the file header or look at file extensions? If so, that
doesn't work, I just populated an hive table which stores data in avro, and
it's file extension is not avro.
Does it do something else that I am missing?

I created a Hive avro table using some new syntax supported in Hive 0.14+:

CREATE EXTERNAL TABLE avg_movie_rating2(movie_id INT, rating DOUBLE)
STORED AS AVRO
LOCATION '/data/movielens/aggregated_ratings'

And, I just haven't been able to get Sqoop to be able to export that data.
Here's the sqoop export command that I ran:

sqoop export --connect \
jdbc:mysql://mgrover-haa-2.vpc.cloudera.com:3306/movie_dwh \
--username root --table avg_movie_rating --export-dir \
/data/movielens/aggregated_ratings -m 16 \
--update-key movie_id --update-mode allowinsert

Any thoughts/insights would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Mark