On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 1:57 AM, Johan Corveleyn <jcorvel@gmail.com> wrote:

Some time ago, we were thinking of maintaining some
notification-configuration inside versioned properties on directories
in svn. The idea was simply to be able to put a (comma-separated, or
new-line separated or whatever) list of email addresses in some
property (let's call it "watchers") on directories. In the simple
case, just the top level directories actually. Post-commit hook would
then see which top-level directories were affected, and use those
email addresses to send commit mails. This then avoids the need to
setup and maintain mailinglists ... It might be possible to come up
with a more elaborate system to put more configuration in such
properties (like people watching only certain authors on certain
directories/files etc).

I didn't really think it through (there could be some nasty details,
performance issues in crawling up the directory structure, ...),
because we decided not to implement it. In the end, we decided it
would be much easier to just setup some mailinglists, for the simple
stuff we needed...

Just my .02 €

Johan

A while ago, I wrote something on top of SVN::Notify with a similar feature, of having a property define who got an email. I threw it up on CPAN at http://search.cpan.org/~larrysh/SVN-Notify-Filter-Watchers-0.09/ It worked pretty good. I have since moved jobs, and we use FishEye, which has a way to setup notifications, and use that instead. So if it has any problems, send me a patch, and I will apply it.

-- Larry