subversion-users mailing list archives

From Brendan Farr-Gaynor <bren...@resolutionim.com>
Subject Performance Tips?
Date Wed, 05 May 2010 13:21:43 GMT
I run a small team of web developers (6) who all work from an in-house repository. We make
lots of commits and often and notice the performance gets pretty bad. Sometimes taking as
long as 2 minutes to commit a change. We rely a lot on server-side software so we often need
to commit to see what our code will do, this can get painful during a debug process where
as a developer you'll often want to commit many little changes quickly within the span of
5-10 minutes.

We're using SVN on a newer quad-core xServe with about 4GB of ram and a standard 7200 RPM
disk (eSATA). Is there something we can do on the hardware side that would help? Solid State
drive? More RAM? Is there something in our SVN config that I should be playing with? We're
currently using the stock install and config that Apple ships with OS X Server 10.6 (Snow
Leopard).

--
Brendan Farr-Gaynor