subversion-users mailing list archives

From Mark Phippard <markp...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Any data compression between server and client?
Date Fri, 04 Jun 2010 19:12:49 GMT
On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 3:08 PM, Je suis la poubelle <lapsap7@gmail.com> wrote:

>     I'm looking for some information but can't find it.  Precisely,
> I'm wondering if there's any data compression between SVN server and
> client.  Since SVN is based on web server, and precisely Apache
> server, and it seems to me that Apache supports gz compressed data
> through HTTP (if the client supports it as well, of course), so I'm
> wondering if there's any option to enable this compression.
>
>     However, I've searched through feature and documentation in
> official web site but nothing is really found.  Could I assume that
> there's no data compression between server and client?

Subversion compresses the data it sends over the wire.  Using
mod_deflate can get you a little extra compression on the entire HTTP
request.  However, there is a huge memory leak when mod_deflate and
Subversion are used together and a client that does not support
deflate is used to access the repository.  So it is best to stay away
from using mod_deflate and the benefits are relatively small since
Subversion already uses compression.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard