subversion-users mailing list archives

From Vincent Lefevre <vincent-...@vinc17.net>
Subject Re: svn checkout - special characters in file name are not encoding properly
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2010 15:05:32 GMT
On 2010-08-11 16:49:46 +0200, Michael Pruemm wrote:
> But don't forget that different platforms may use different UTF-8
> encodings for the same filename. Mac OS X encodes accented
> characters in filenames in a different way than Linux.

Yes, but that's another problem, for which I think that the only
solution would be that Subversion use filenames only with ASCII
characters (e.g. with transliteration). This has drawbacks, though.

Note also that Linux allows NFD, which means that if such a file
is created, trying to reuse the filename with a copy-paste fails!
Anyway this is not a Subversion-related problem (except if
Subversion doesn't convert NFD to NFC for files committed from
Mac OS X).