subversion-users mailing list archives

From Les Mikesell <lesmikes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Support for filesystem snapshots (?)
Date Mon, 02 Aug 2010 17:16:47 GMT
On 8/2/2010 11:42 AM, Vallon, Justin wrote:
> I did see that discussion, but it seems to contradict with the claim that the database
operations are transactional.

> So, my follow up is:  If I unplug the network cable between svn-commiter and filesystem,
will the repository be corrupt?

> If yes, then the underlying database is not atomic and therefore not transactional.
>
> If no, then the server can take a snapshot at any point in time, and the snapshot is
guaranteed to be consistent.

That's not a good match for the operations at least in server-mode
operations since the server can notice the disconnect and back out
failed transactions.  And even with file-mapped connections, the
committing client should know that the commit did not complete.

A better match for comparison would be what happens if the server
crashes mid-transaction.  A backup taken with the server active might
catch the same state.  So the more relevant question would be if the
repository will always be consistent after a server crash.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com