subversion-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Nagel <chrisnagelmi...@yahoo.com>
Subject Moving NAS owner and upgrading?
Date Sat, 31 Jul 2010 18:41:20 GMT
This may resolve to a fairly simple operation, but right now I'm a bit in the
weeds and would like to ask your help in charting the best course forward.

I administer the SVN repository for our workgroup.  I started it on a found copy
of svn 1.3.9, but was fortunate to get the repository stored on a NAS mounted at
/svnroot.  The SunOS box that svnserve runs on is being end-of-lifed and we've
gotten a shiny new virtual linux box to use.  Sounds great, except now I have to
make the move.

I've considered the following:
- add user svn to new system, ensure its UID/GIDs are same as on old system
- install svn 1.3.9 on new system under new user
- move the mount from old system to new, same mount point
- restart svnserve and see if it works
- upgrade svn to latest version in place

Or:
- create new svn user
- install latest version of svn
- export repository on old system (hopefully enough disk space is around)
- wipe disk, mount storage on new system
- create new repository
- import old repository to new (history is preserved?)

Or:
- create new svn user and install latest svn on new system
- move mount to new system
- chown -R *
- let svn update repository structure if it doesn't like it as-is

What's the best way to do this?  I'm no linux admin, just a developer who likes
safe code...

Thanks!
Chris