subversion-users mailing list archives

From Andy Levy <andy.l...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Capacity limit on Branches and Tags in SVN
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2011 13:59:49 GMT
On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 08:51, Colin Fraser <colin.fraser@levelfour.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking to migrate an existing repository from CVS into SVN and I've been trying
to find concrete examples of capacity limits.

> Our workflow is to create private branches for bug fixing, feature development, RC testing
etc so we end up with a lot of branches and tags over time - CVS is now struggling to support
this (time taken to branch is hours).  I've seen plenty examples given about the physical
size or number of commits supported in an SVN repository, but nothing about the number of
branches and tags that can be supported.

> Basically I'm concerned about performance degradation over time if we continue to create
many branches.  The numbers I'm talking about are around 2000 branches and 3000 tags, increasing
by about 500 per year.

> Any information or links appreciated.

Subversion branches and tags are just specially-named copies (you
don't even have to call them "branch" or "tag" if you don't want).
Copies in Subversion are cheap - each will take maybe 1KB of space.
See http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.branchmerge.using.html

You shouldn't have the same trouble in SVN as you've had in CVS.