subversion-users mailing list archives

From James French <James.Fre...@naturalmotion.com>
Subject RE: Set a repository never ignore files
Date Wed, 04 Jun 2014 14:50:35 GMT
Thanks Andreas and Nico.

Shame that's not possible, but I welcome the global-ignores and autoprops stuff.

The purpose of the repo in question is to store 3rd party distros. I've lost count of the
times over the years that we've fallen foul of files not being checked in and then only finding
out later.

Oh well.

-----Original Message-----
From: Nico Kadel-Garcia [mailto:nkadel@gmail.com]
Sent: 04 June 2014 03:44
To: Andreas Stieger
Cc: James French; users@subversion.apache.org
Subject: Re: Set a repository never ignore files

On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 8:05 PM, Andreas Stieger <andreas.stieger@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 03/06/14 11:24, James French wrote:
>> I have a repo where I want to force .a files to always get added (ie
>> not ignored), irrespective of any ignore settings in user config
>> files. I am happy to set the repo to not ignore any file, if that is
>> easier. I guess I’m after an svn:global-no-ignore property…
>
> The repository dictated configuration introduced in 1.8 will only
> /extend/ the client-side global-ignores configuration setting, not
> override it. There is no support for enforcing for something /not/ to
> be ignored, other than through deployed run-time configurations, hooks
> or simply a project policy. Further, adding a file to version control
> is still an entirely separate user action from not ignoring it.

One could set a pre-commit hook to review the contents of ..svnignore files. It won't prevent
some types of oddness with git2svn gateways.
Also, be aware that insisting on hanging onto all the ".a" files can cause considerable growth
of your repository, with no graceful way to "obliterate" old files: ".a" files are unlikely
to compress as well as text files, nor to function well as a set of "diffs", so any continuous
integration or frequent build environment is likely to grow, *FAST*.