On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 8:38 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@gmail.com> wrote:
> Don't hurt yourself trying to do that. The build dependencies have
> gotten too far ahead of the base components for RHEL 5 for even me,
> and I published the last update for Repoforge. Save yourself some pain
> and take a look at Wandisco's public offerings if you need to run the
> server on RHEL 5, or stell yourself for the jump tp RHEL 6 or RHEL 7.

I managed to get the build working without *too much* pain.
Unfortunately, I'm stuck using RHEL 5.11 on this one machine for the
forseeable future.  Our other machines are running 7.2 and seem to
work better.

Thanks for the tip about Wandisco's offerings.  I didn't think to look
around for builds of old subversion.  I'll keep your tools in mind if
I need to build subversion again in the future.

Thanks again,
Eric Dramstad

On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 11:43 AM, Eric Dramstad <edrams@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a right way to install subversion 1.9.3 using GNU Stow?
>
> I use stow to manage package installation for packages that I build
> myself.  I'm trying to build and install subversion 1.9.3 on a machine
> running Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 5.11.  I'm building subversion
> myself because the newest version available from yum is 1.6.11.

Don't hurt yourself trying to do that. The build dependencies have
gotten too far ahead of the base components for RHEL 5 for even me,
and I published the last update for Repoforge. Save yourself some pain
and take a look at Wandisco's public offerings if you need to run the
server on RHEL 5, or stell yourself for the jump tp RHEL 6 or RHEL 7.

> The last time I built subversion from source, it was subversion 1.6.11
> on a different machine running RHEL 7.2.  I upgraded to subversion
> 1.9.3 on that machine and managed to get past similar libtool errors
> by configuring with --disable-shared --enable-all-static in addition
> to the flags mentioned above.  That approach did not work on the RHEL
> 5.11 machine.

If you're gong to go this route, take a look at my old tools at
https://github.com/nkadel/subversion-1.9.x-srpm. That won't get it
working with all the missing dependencies for RHEL or CentOS 5, but
can give some traction for setting up actual RPM's for RHEL 6 or 7.