subversion-users mailing list archives

From Stefan Fuhrmann <stefanfuhrm...@alice-dsl.de>
Subject Re: svnserve poor commit performance
Date Sat, 24 Dec 2016 10:15:25 GMT
On 2016-12-23 13:07 (+0100), Daniel Shahaf <danielsh@apache.org> wrote:
 > Jakub Petr wrote on Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 10:28:24 +0100:
 > > Why the "transmitting phase" should take so long?
 >
 > Usually it's because of virus scanners intercepting the disk operations
 > (opening/writing files).
 >
 > What makes you think the slowness is svnserve's fault? Is the commit
 > faster over file:// than over svn://localhost?

There is more that can be tried to reduce I/O and to check
whether there it results in improved performance:

* use 'svn import' instead of add/commit (no pristine store update)
* in fsfs.conf, disable rep-sharing (no temp. sha1 files)
* 'svnadmin create --compatible-version 1.8' (no index file updates)
* add '-c 0' to svnserve's command line (may save ~1 minute)
* add '-M 100' to svnserve's command line (make sure large flat
   directories are cached properly)
* distribute the files over multiple directories - in case they are
   currently in one "flat" directory

-- Stefan^2.