subversion-users mailing list archives

From Todd Armstrong <todd.armstr...@Newscycle.com>
Subject Re: Subversion 1.6 / 1.7 compatibility - RHEL/CentOS 6/7 upgrade
Date Tue, 20 Dec 2016 21:41:57 GMT

> On Dec 20, 2016, at 8:31 AM, "Matt Garman" <matthew.garman@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 1:49 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 6:10 PM, Matt Garman <matthew.garman@gmail.com>
wrote:
>>> Looking at the Subversion 1.7 release notes[2], and also my own
>>> testing, it appears that what I could do to make this easy for
>>> everyone is to upgrade all CentOS 6 clients to subversion-1.7 (i.e.
>>> have subversion-1.7 everywhere on the client side).  Then everyone can
>>> do an "svn upgrade" on all their working copies and go about their
>>> business as usual.  The svn server can stay CentOS 6 / subversion-1.6
>>> for now (probably done much later in the overall upgrade process).
>>
>> From experience, it's that easy. There is no Subversion 1.7 in the
>> supported repos, and Subversion 1.9 is (from personal experience)
>> awkward to backport to CentOS 6. So it may take some work or
>> searching. I used to publish SRPM tools over at github, but I stopped
>> a while ago.
>
> Thank you, that is very encouraging.  I was able to compile svn-1.7
> from the vanilla sources on CentOS 6, and my colleague is a pro at RPM
> packaging.  So no worries on that front!
>
> Thanks again,
> Matt

WANDisco has freely available subversion binaries for numerous subversion versions for centos
5, 6, and 7 (and lots of other operating systems.
 We are currently using one of the 1.8 versions on both centos 6 and 7 clients.  Don't know
if that would be 1.6 server compatible - our server is 1.8 based as well.