subversion-users mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: environment variable for location of the .svn directory ?
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2016 10:03:27 GMT
On 21.12.2016 17:57, Miller, Hugh wrote:
>> What is the problem you are trying to solve?
> The context is versioning file sets/trees that are used by other applications and processes.
In this situation, it is nice or imperative to be able to treat the file set/tree as just
the original, but still have it versioned. This is obtained if the versioning tool in no way
alters the original file tree. The newer treatment of .svn goes most of the way but does not
quite do this.

> Also, just my untutored mania, it seems cleaner, and provides freedom, to govern the
.svn location with an environment variable, since there is nothing in the concept or nature
of  .svn that would require it to be located as is done now.

Well, in theory, there's not. In practice, there's not only one .svn
directory; there's one per working copy, and that includes referenced
externals. Having only one .svn directory would imply putting data for
multiple working copies into the same database. The database schema
supports that; the code does not.

-- Brane