subversion-users mailing list archives

From Ryan Schmidt <subversion-2...@ryandesign.com>
Subject Re: Building subversion runs svnversion, which fails
Date Mon, 18 Nov 2019 14:44:46 GMT

On Nov 17, 2019, at 15:24, Nathan Hartman wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 17, 2019 at 2:47 PM Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
> > Hi, I noticed this bug in subversion on macOS. I reported it here:
> >
> > https://trac.macports.org/ticket/59712
> >
> > But it's really an upstream issue so I would like to report it here
> > as well.
> >
> > The subversion build evidently runs the just-built svnversion at
> > some point. This crashes, because the libraries it's linked with
> > haven't been installed yet, and I guess it's not setting
> > DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH to the path where the built libraries are. I
> > assume that the fix will be setting that variable.
>
> I am not an expert on this subject but IIRC setting DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH
> will *not* help because of something called SIP (System Integrity
> Protection) on macOS.

On newer versions of macOS, DYLD_* environment variables are no longer passed down to subshells.
This merely means that you need to set DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH at the right time, in other words
right as you're running svnversion, and not in some top-level script that will eventually
after calling various sub scripts run svnversion.

> But I wonder, why does this fail? Subversion's test suite (which runs
> the svn binaries) runs just fine. It stands to reason that svnversion
> should run just fine, too.

I have not looked at your build system, but it fails for the reason I stated.

> That tells me that it must be running, not crashing.

It is crashing. The operating system crash logs (attached to the MacPorts ticket) were what
alerted me to the problem.

> Of course, I could be mistaken. Please could you show us more output
> from 'make install' than the 3 lines in the MacPorts Trac issue?

Sure, here's one of the logs from our build system:

https://build.macports.org/builders/ports-10.14_x86_64-builder/builds/44459/steps/install-port/logs/stdio

The relevant part in the log is where it says:

(subversion/svnversion/svnversion . 2> /dev/null ||  \
	 svnversion . 2> /dev/null ||                        \
	 echo "unknown";                                                 \
	) > /opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_bblocal_var_buildworker_ports_build_ports_devel_subversion/subversion/work/destroot/opt/local/include/subversion-1/svn-revision.txt
/bin/sh: line 1: 61814 Abort trap: 6           subversion/svnversion/svnversion . 2> /dev/null

> Also, are you building from a distribution tarball or from a working
> copy checked out from Subversion's source repository?

Distribution tarball.