subversion-users mailing list archives

From "Gantvorg, Andrej" <Andrej.Gantv...@wago.com>
Subject mixed authenticated/anonymous access configuration: log polluted with "Access denied" messages
Date Thu, 10 Dec 2020 10:03:28 GMT
Hello,

I'm not subscribed for the mailing list and would kindly ask to be CC'd in responses.

We are running an apache/SVN server instance with mixed authenticated/anonymous access configuration
(see below).

We use LDAP and file based authentication, the latter for legacy reasons.

Upon each authenticated access a following message appears in the apache access log:

[Wed Dec 02 15:51:06.153148 2020] [authz_svn:error] [pid 176419] [client XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:XXXXX]
Access denied: - OPTIONS repoX:/foo

The message is not generated when anonymously accessible directories are accessed.

This behavior pollutes our logs pretty badly because the majority of the svn operations happen
on repos that do require credentials to access.

Is my assumption correct that each time an authenticated access happens, an anonymous access
is tried first that leads to this message being generated?

Is it possible to tweak the configuration somehow to get rid of this message?

Thank you very much!

Our Apache version: Apache/2.4.29 (Ubuntu)

/etc/apache2/svn_access.conf:

SVNParentPath /var/svn/repos
SVNReposName "Subversion Repository"
<IfModule deflate_module>
  SetOutputFilter DEFLATE
</IfModule>
AuthzSVNAccessFile "/var/svn/apache2/svn_access_file"
SVNPathAuthz short_circuit
SVNListParentPath On
AuthzForceUsernameCase Lower
SVNAutoversioning on
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Automation Subversion Repository"
AuthUserFile "/var/svn/apache2/local_svn_passwd"
Order deny,allow
Satisfy any
Require valid-user

AuthBasicProvider ldap file
AuthName "CollabNet Subversion Repository"
AuthLDAPURL "ldap://xxx"
Include /etc/apache2/ldap_password.conf