subversion-users mailing list archives

From Tobias Knauss <tobias.kna...@web.de>
Subject File not marked as "added" after merging if it was moved+renamed in branch
Date Tue, 15 Dec 2020 14:32:02 GMT
Hello,

I have had a discussion with Stefan, the developer of Tortoise SVN, about the reported status
of files that had been renamed and moved in a branch before merging them to the trunk.

The discussion includes screenshots and is rather long, so I would like to avoid copying it
here.
Instead, I am asking you to look at https://groups.google.com/g/tortoisesvn/c/tZjI6BkrOPI.
If you do find that the text belongs here, please let me know and I will copy the relevant
parts. If there is a place where I can store the pictures of that discussion, I will put them
there.

A short summary:
Basically, I have renamed a file in a branch, created a subfolder at the place of the file
and moved it into that subfolder.
When I merged the changes to trunk, the original file was marked as "deleted", the subfolder
was marked as "added", and the new file was marked as "normal" (in TSVN).
Stefan did a text output for me:
D 4 2 toknauss doc01.txt
A + - 4 toknauss folder_a
+ - 4 toknauss folder_a\doc01.txt
In my opinion, if the file was deleted at the old place, it must have been marked as "added"
on the new place, otherwise there was no new file. And actually, this new file is even missing
in the log for the relevant revision, although the file had been changed and it still exists.

More details can be found in the linked discussion of the google group of TSVN.

I also searched the mailing lists, but did not find any relevant conversation about related
issues.
I did find something in the JIRA project of SVN when searching for "move rename merge", which
might be related and might help if implemented:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SVN-898   (Implement true renames)
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SVN-3630  (Rename tracking)
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SVN-3633  (Track renames as renames inside Subversion
repository)

Is the above mentioned situation a bug? I can't imagine that this would be intended.
If it was a bug: is there any bugfix to be expected short-term?

Wikipedia says, SVN is written in "C" language: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_Subversion
I got an impression of the limitations of "C" 15 years ago at university; I have done mostly
OOP since then (C++, C++ .Net, C#, VBA). I am thinking about contributing to SVN, but I doubt
I will be of great help in "C" language.

Best regards
Tobias Knauss