subversion-users mailing list archives

From Nathan Hartman <hartman.nat...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Consequences of reintegrating without first doing a sync-merge?
Date Fri, 23 Apr 2021 19:38:06 GMT
On Fri, Apr 23, 2021 at 1:24 PM Mun Johl <Mun.Johl@wdc.com> wrote:
> I had to do a rush reintegration and in my haste I forgot to do the sync-merge first.
 What kind of fallout is possible under these circumstances?  That is, what are the ramifications
of me skipping the sync-merge step.

I've done it a few times. :-)

If the reintegration merge completes without any conflicts, then it
shouldn't really make a difference. (Caveat: It might have made a
difference in older versions of Subversion. But since around 1.10,
merging has gotten vastly better.)

Yes, it is best practice to do the sync merge first, so that if there
are conflicts, it is better that their resolution should be part of
the branch. That way, the reintegration merge can be made and
committed without containing any extra (manual) changes for conflict
resolution. It results in a cleaner (more easily traceable) history.
Also syncing first means that (unless further changes are made) the
branch and trunk are identical except for the changes introduced on
the branch.

Cheers,
Nathan