subversion-users mailing list archives

From Mark Phippard <markp...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Using IIS as a reverse proxy in front of Apache/SVN
Date Mon, 19 Jul 2021 22:21:49 GMT
On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 5:36 PM Daniel Sahlberg
<daniel.l.sahlberg@gmail.com> wrote:

> Den tis 13 juli 2021 kl 15:44 skrev Branko ─îibej <brane@apache.org>:
>>
>> On 10.06.2021 07:44, Daniel Sahlberg wrote:
>> > Den tors 10 juni 2021 kl 02:23 skrev Daniel Shahaf
>> > <d.s@daniel.shahaf.name <mailto:d.s@daniel.shahaf.name>>:
>> >
>> >     Daniel Sahlberg wrote on Wed, Jun 09, 2021 at 08:18:04 +0200:
>> >     > Hi,
>> >     >
>> >     > We are using VisualSVN server (basically Apache 2.4.48 and
>> >     Subversion
>> >     > 1.14.1 on Windows) on https://svn.companyname.tld
>> >     <https://svn.companyname.tld>, listening on port 443.
>> >     > Currently this is on a separate server. I need to consolidate
>> >     the servers
>> >     > and would like to move Subversion to another server already
>> >     running IIS
>> >     > (serving multiple sites on both port 80 and 443).
>> >     >
>> >     > My thinking is that IIS should listen for the new hostname, do SSL
>> >     > offloading and forward the traffic to 127.0.0.1:[some new port
>> >     for Apache].
>> >     > I would like to avoid publishing the new port for Apache, since
>> >     that would
>> >     > mean to relocate all existing working copies.
>> >     >
>> >     > Does anyone have experience in using IIS as reverse proxy in
>> >     front of
>> >     > Apache?
>> >
>> >     Not what you asked, but running the test suite under a reverse proxy
>> >     configuration might be informative.
>> >

>> > Thanks! I will try to find some time to look at it.
>> >
>> > Thinking of it, I guess the question could be generalized as: Is it
>> > possible to run Subversion behind /any/ kind of reverse proxy?
>>
>> Yes, it is possible. Subversion doesn't do anything magic. Some time
>> ago, many reverse/caching proxies didn't understand some of the
>> DAV-related HTTP methods that Subversion uses. I'd hope this is no
>> longer the case ... especially as, AFAIK, IIS can be a WebDAV server.
>

> Thank you Brane!
>
> I finally found some time to test it out and it worked first time.
>
> For reference, in case someone else face a similar problem:
> * IIS is listening on port 80 and 443, these ports are exposed externally.
> * VisualSVN Server (ie, Apache HTTPD + Subversion + some proprietary stuff) is listening
on port 81 for HTTP only
> * I configured a site in IIS with bindings on port 80 and 443, with IIS' setting "Require
SSL" (any traffic on port 80 will give a 403 error message so the user can update the URL).
rewriting incoming request to http://127.0.0.1:81/{R:1}

> Now IIS is doing SSL offloading and forwarding the (unencrypted) traffic internally to
VisualSVN Server.

> I've so far just made some minor tests, will migrate our production repositories and
do more detailed testing in the next few days.

Try the svn copy command and see if that works. It usually will not
until/unless the HTTP "Destination" header is rewritten. You can do
this on the Apache side if IIS cannot do it.

Mark