Regarding Glen's 2nd point, I'd noticed it did seem a bit slow creating the out MC in AbstractInOutSyncMessageReceiver (code now moved to the Utils.createOutMessageContext). Delving into that this morning this is due to the call to UUIDGenerator.getUUID(). That is _really_ slow, takes about 1ms on my machine, accounting for about 65% of the total service invocation!