tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Andreou <andy...@di.uoa.gr>
Subject Re: A plan for 5.3 / 5.4
Date Wed, 09 Feb 2011 21:07:34 GMT
Some quick notes
- wrt JS/CSS minimization: AFAIK, all frameworks doing that (for
instance jawr) use the
yuicompressor library which is close to 800KB. Additionally, many
companies prefer
doing the minimization offline, so i hope this doesnt end up inside core.
- JS improvements and rewrite:
https://github.com/got5/tapestry5-jquery was usable
with 5.2.0 and after the recent updates by Christian Riedel should
work fine in 5.2.4
This basically means that the rewrite/improvements are closer that one
might think
(i'll help develop them and making sure they end up in 5.3)
- Plastic: if it's not inside tapestry, it needs to at least be
available from central

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 20:13, Howard Lewis Ship <hlship@gmail.com> wrote:
> Been chatting with clients (who may help fund this) and just thinking
> about plans.  Here's a rough outline of what I think I can commit to
> in 5.3 and 5.4.
>
> 5.3
> - Deprecate Javassist inside ComponentClassInstantiator, replace with Plastic
> - Deprecate ClassFactory, provide necessary hooks to use Plastic
> - Move Plastic into Tapestry?
> - Gradle build for Tapestry
> - Improve debugging experience (shadow per-thread values into shared
> object fields in development mode)
> - Improve asset pipelines for
>  - Dynamic generation of content (example, .less files converted to
> static CSS automatically)
>  - JS/CSS minimization
> - Do something about Component Report ... turn it into an Ant task,
> perhaps, or integrate Component Report into JavaDoc directly
> - Minor JS improvements, set expectations for 5.4 rewrite
>
> 5.4
> - Remove Javassist entirely
> - Remove ClassFactory
> - Rewrite JS entirely, introduce abstraction layer and backwards
> compatibility layer
> - Maybe cometd/server-push support
>
> I'd love to see both these releases in 2011.
>
> In case you missed in:  http://github.com/hlship/plastic
>
> --
> Howard M. Lewis Ship
>
> Creator of Apache Tapestry