tez-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Zhurakousky <ozhurakou...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: 0.5 incubating release
Date Mon, 19 May 2014 13:05:42 GMT
Also, I just noticed that sources for the snapshots aren’t downloaded. Perhaps they are not
published. That would not be good when trying to address dev productivity, so it needs to
be addressed.
Oleg

On May 16, 2014, at 5:21 PM, Hitesh Shah <hitesh@apache.org> wrote:

> +1 to get the usability changes to users quickly.
>
> I would also like to get the YARN timeline server integration and staging directory cleanup
as part of the 0.5.0 release and will update jiras accordingly ( assuming no one has any concerns
). The timeline server change will move the  hadoop dependency to 2.4.0 - is that a concern
for anyone? However, there will still remain a capability to compile against hadoop-2.2 (
but the default will change to 2.4 ) .

> We should also look at making this release with convenience binary artifacts. This will
require some work to get the NOTICE and LICENSE files for the binary tar ball correctly setup.

> — Hitesh
>

> On May 16, 2014, at 11:49 AM, Bikas Saha <bikas@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>

>> Given the growing interest in users trying to write Tez jobs, it may make
>> sense to expedite a 0.5 release as soon as possible in order to have a
>> stable vehicle by which we can release the Ease of Use work being tracked
>> by https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TEZ-690. This will enable users to
>> start writing their code from a much cleaner base. While API’s and helpers
>> will keep evolving, the 0.5 release is trying to target user feedback about
>> the most painful parts of writing code against the API’s.
>>

>> On this note, let us all take some time and examine the sub-tasks of
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TEZ-690. Please add any items that
>> are currently missing. Please mark critical usability jiras with target
>> version 0.5 so that we can focus on them before the release. Please also
>> help out by picking up the critical jiras and providing patches.
>>

>> Thoughts?
>>

>> Thanks!
>>
>> Bikas
>>
>> --