tez-dev mailing list archives

From Tsuyoshi OZAWA <ozawa.tsuyo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 0.5 incubating release
Date Sat, 17 May 2014 08:54:57 GMT
+1(non-binding) for having effort to stabilize APIs quickly.

> The timeline server change will move the  hadoop dependency to 2.4.0 - is that a concern
for anyone?

Hitesh, I'd like to +1 for upgrading the dependency itself. One
concern is that 2.4.0 includes compatibility issue - YARN-1931.
If it affects Tez's code base, we should wait for 2.4.1 release. IIUC,
there are blocking issues of 2.4.1 now, so it's coming soon.

Thanks,
- Tsuyoshi

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 8:49 PM, Bikas Saha <bikas@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Given the growing interest in users trying to write Tez jobs, it may make
> sense to expedite a 0.5 release as soon as possible in order to have a
> stable vehicle by which we can release the Ease of Use work being tracked
> by https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TEZ-690. This will enable users to
> start writing their code from a much cleaner base. While API’s and helpers
> will keep evolving, the 0.5 release is trying to target user feedback about
> the most painful parts of writing code against the API’s.
>

> On this note, let us all take some time and examine the sub-tasks of
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TEZ-690. Please add any items that
> are currently missing. Please mark critical usability jiras with target
> version 0.5 so that we can focus on them before the release. Please also
> help out by picking up the critical jiras and providing patches.
>

> Thoughts?
>

> Thanks!
>
> Bikas
>
> --