tez-dev mailing list archives

From Hitesh Shah <hit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Question on Event
Date Fri, 27 Jun 2014 17:33:27 GMT
Hi Jeff,

Events are a control-flow mechanism used by Tez. They are a way for user-land code to communicate
with either the framework or other parts of user-land code. In addition to this, events are
also used by the framework to propagate information to other parts of the framework. All events
that user-land code can generate are available as part of the tez.runtime.api ( such as DataMovement
or InputFailedError events ).

A DataMovement event is used by an Output to send information about the data that it has generated
to a downstream Input. The event structure itself contains only a byte array as what kind
of information is being passed between a pair of Output/Input is implementation specific.
All that the framework does is route the event to the correct downstream task based on the
type of the edge that is between the 2 vertices.

There are different types of events based on what functionality/use they provide. The payloads
of these events is usually a byte array/buffer which is user-code specific and not needed
to be interpreted by the framework. Given this, in most scenarios, a custom event should not
be needed. If you have any particular use-case for which existing events are not sufficient,
lets discuss.

Thanks for bringing this topic up. Our documentation on events is quite minimal ( non-existent
).

thanks
— Hitesh