tez-dev mailing list archives

From "Jianfeng (Jeff) Zhang" <jzh...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Why not failing vertex when task is killed ?
Date Fri, 03 Apr 2015 09:42:56 GMT

I think I got it, because task should only been killed by vertex. Task killed means vertex
has already trigger the killing,  so it is not necessary to trigger it again when task is
killed.

Best Regard,
Jeff Zhang

From: Jianfeng Zhang <jzhang@hortonworks.com<mailto:jzhang@hortonworks.com>>
Date: Friday, April 3, 2015 at 5:36 PM
To: "dev@tez.apache.org<mailto:dev@tez.apache.org>" <dev@tez.apache.org<mailto:dev@tez.apache.org>>
Subject: Why not failing vertex when task is killed ?

I notice that vertex will be killed when any task is failed, but won't been killed when task
is killed (TaskCompletedTransition in VertexImpl)
Is it for the task that is killed when parallelism of vertex is changed ?  The logic here
cause the completedTaskCount may be greater than succeededTaskCount.

But looking at the code of VertexImpl.checkVertexForCompletion, vertex should succeed only
when completedTaskCount is equal to succeededTaskCount.

  if (vertex.completedTaskCount == vertex.tasks.size()) {

      //Only succeed if tasks complete successfully and no terminationCause is registered.

      if(vertex.succeededTaskCount == vertex.tasks.size() && vertex.terminationCause
== null) {

Best Regard,
Jeff Zhang