thrift-user mailing list archives

From Simon Heath <icefo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Using thrift protocol encoding without thrift transport
Date Sat, 11 Jun 2011 19:40:16 GMT
On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 11:27 AM, Paul Mans <paulmans@gmail.com> wrote:
> My objective is to create a separate UDP connection between the two devices
> and send only the video frames over that link and use my existing TSocket
> connection for everything else.

Out of curiousity, are you sure that UDP will bring you enough
improvement, and that the TCP connection overhead is the easiest
problem to attack?  Your comments sort of imply that you need half of
TCP for frame ordering and such anyway...  I don't know what your app
does of course, so I'm just being a skeptic.  :-)

The way to do it would seem to be create new Protocol and Transport
objects, to serialize the data into a form that can be transmitted
over UDP and do the transmission.  You would have to have some way of
dealing with dropped packets though; either re-transmitting them (in
which case you're re-inventing TCP) or just ignoring them and skipping
incomplete frames at the application level (probably what you want).
If you're not familiar with the guts I've found this to be helpful in
explaining how all the bits fit together:
http://diwakergupta.github.com/thrift-missing-guide/#_generated_code

Another choice might be to handle image data as a special case and
transmit it separately.  Even if you manage to make Thrift work over
UDP you'd need special rules to handle image streams anyway, so it's a
special case already.

--
Simon Heath    http://alopex.li/   Science, games, computers, life.