thrift-user mailing list archives

From Paul Mans <paulm...@gmail.com>
Subject Using thrift protocol encoding without thrift transport
Date Sat, 11 Jun 2011 18:27:44 GMT
Hi,

I'm using thrift running in an Android app to communicate with an iPhone app
over a tcp socket.  Overall it's working great, however one of the kinds of
data i'm sending is image frames in order to construct a video stream and
it's a little bit slow.

My objective is to create a separate UDP connection between the two devices
and send only the video frames over that link and use my existing TSocket
connection for everything else.  But I've read that it would take a lot of
work to modify thrift to work over udp so i'd like to just keep it simple
and handle the udp socket connection with the standard java/cocoa utilities.

However, since I am already using thrift on both sides it would be really
nice to just send a serialized thrift object as my datagram packet over the
udp socket.  Then I could easily attach frame ordering and whatever other
metadata I desired to each message.

This seems like it should be possible, but I'm not sure how to do it.  Does
anyone have an idea?  Do I want to be using the FileTransport?

Thanks for any insight people might be able to provide.

Paul