thrift-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Rajavuori <jonathan.rajavu...@omnisci.com>
Subject Node.js Thrift still completely broken as published on npm
Date Fri, 07 Aug 2020 15:32:54 GMT
Hi all,

Remaining aware that this is an open-source project run by volunteer
maintainers, I'd like to signal again that Node.js Thrift as it's published
to npm is still broken, as it has been since it was first published at
version 0.13.0 about 9 months ago now.

It is not a code issue - it's just an issue with where the package was
built and published from (/lib/js in the repo, instead of repo root where
every prior version was published from and which the dual browser/Node.js
solution as of 0.13.0 depends on). It would be easy to fix by republishing
from the correct location (though it probably requires unpublishing the
broken 0.13.0 and publishing a hotfix 0.13.1) - it just needs someone with
npm maintainer access to perform those steps.

This is important not only for new adopters to be able to use Node.js
Thrift as they find it on npm (the code example given in the npm Readme
currently fails because of this issue), but also for those of us using
Thrift in production who are on 0.13.0. We currently have to recommend
installing 0.13.0 from git, which isn't desirable.

It seems like there are solutions being batted around to merge the
Node.js/browser libraries more, which might be an improvement to the
packaging/API. I feel that this should not block on those, and needs to be
fixed for 0.13.0 regardless, because it is a quick fix, and because of the
many production projects that now depend on that version specifically.

Here are some of current issues / discussions tracking this issue, with
more information (though there wouldn't be much more than the above needed
to fix it):
https://github.com/apache/thrift/pull/1947

Again, I understand that this is an open-source project with low resources.
I am just advocating for this to be the top of the to-do list for anyone
who has maintainership of Node.js, nothing else. Thanks for your time to
read this.

- Jonathan Rajavuori