tika-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Busch <busch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general discussion, moved from TIKA-7]
Date Mon, 18 Jun 2007 03:07:53 GMT
Chris Mattmann wrote:

> To me, this "sandbox" that you guys are talking about is essentially
> equivalent to a JIRA issue, and attaching patch files there. JIRA is a
> pretty easy way of sharing code, asking for comments/reviews/updates, etc.,
> before it gets into the sources (i.e., the trunk). It also is a way for us
> to track design discussions, and tie them to actual contributions into the
> sources.

I think that a sandbox has advantages here compared to JIRA. Yes, JIRA is
good to submit patches and to comment on issues. But it is quite unsuitable
for evolving code. Take for example TIKA-7: it's a huge patch. Now a couple
of people suggest changes and submit more patches. Then you end up having
lot's of files attached to that issue, maybe even conflicting ones. IMO it's
easier to have such a big piece of code in the sandbox. Then people can
open different issues and submit patches based on the sandbox code. Those
patches will then be much easier to apply and test on your local checkout.

- Michael