tika-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Mattmann <chris.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject Re: [general discussion, moved from TIKA-7]
Date Mon, 18 Jun 2007 15:03:14 GMT

>> I think that a sandbox has advantages here compared to JIRA. Yes, JIRA is
>> good to submit patches and to comment on issues. But it is quite unsuitable
>> for evolving code. Take for example TIKA-7: it's a huge patch. Now a couple
>> of people suggest changes and submit more patches. Then you end up having
>> lot's of files attached to that issue, maybe even conflicting ones. IMO
>> it's
>> easier to have such a big piece of code in the sandbox. Then people can
>> open different issues and submit patches based on the sandbox code. Those
>> patches will then be much easier to apply and test on your local checkout.
>
> I agree with Michael here and also because there currently exists
> nothing worth protecting (no release = no requirement for any backward
> compatibility) in trunk it is IMO no more than one big sandbox there.

I agree as well. Since there are no releases, etc., let's continue to
develop in the trunk. However, my call for design discussions still remains
and still is necessary IMO. I will take the lead on beginning these
discussions as soon by looking through and commenting on TIKA-7.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Cheers,
  Chris

Chris A. Mattmann
Chris.Mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov
Key Staff Member
Modeling and Data Management Systems Section (387)
Data Management Systems and Technologies Group

Office: 171-266B                        Mailstop:  171-246