tika-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Yaniv Kunda (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] [Updated] (TIKA-1726) Augment public methods that use a java.io.File with methods that use a java.nio.file.Path
Date Sun, 06 Sep 2015 05:15:45 GMT

     [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA-1726?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:all-tabpanel
]

Yaniv Kunda updated TIKA-1726:
------------------------------
    Description: 
In light of Java 7 already EOL, it's high time we add support for the new java.nio.file.Path
class introduced with it, which, together with support methods in java.nio.file.Files and
others, provide a better file I/O framework than java.io.File.

In just two cases, we have public methods in tika that only return a File object, and cannot
be overloaded, so a different name for the new method must be created:
- {{org.apache.tika.io.TemporaryResources#createTemporaryFile()}}
_Suggestions:_
-- addTemporaryFile
-- addTempFile
-- createTempFile
- {{org.apache.tika.io.TikaInputStream#getFile()}}
_Suggestions:_
-- asFile
-- toPath
-- getPath

In other cases, the methods accept a File as an argument, and should remain as tika users
might be using them - so an overloaded method that accepts a Path instead should be added,
referencing the new method from the old one using (using the @see tag) deprecating the old
method until an unknown tika major release.
Here is the full list of other methods:
_tika-app:_
- {{org.apache.tika.gui.TikaGUI#openFile(File)}}

_tika-batch:_
- {{org.apache.tika.batch.fs.FSUtil#getOutputFile(File, String, HANDLE_EXISTING, String)}}
- {{org.apache.tika.util.PropsUtil#getFile(String, File)}}
- {{org.apache.tika.batch.fs.FSDirectoryCrawler}} constructors
- {{org.apache.tika.batch.fs.FSDirectoryCrawler#handleFirstFileInDirectory(File)}}
- {{org.apache.tika.batch.fs.FSFileResource}} constructor
- {{org.apache.tika.batch.fs.FSListCrawler}} constructor
- {{org.apache.tika.batch.fs.FSOutputStreamFactory}} constructor
- {{org.apache.tika.batch.fs.FSUtil#checkThisIsAncestorOfOrSameAsThat(File, File)}}
- {{org.apache.tika.batch.fs.FSUtil#checkThisIsAncestorOfThat(File, File)}}
- {{org.apache.tika.batch.fs.strawman.StrawManTikaAppDriver}} constructor

_tika-core:_
- {{org.apache.tika.Tika#detect(File)}}
- {{org.apache.tika.Tika#parse(File)}}
- {{org.apache.tika.Tika#parseToString(File)}}
- {{org.apache.tika.config.TikaConfig}} constructors
- {{org.apache.tika.detect.NNExampleModelDetector}} constructor
- {{org.apache.tika.detect.TrainedModelDetector#loadDefaultModels(File)}}
- {{org.apache.tika.io.TemporaryResources#setTemporaryFileDirectory(File)}}
- {{org.apache.tika.io.TikaInputStream#get(File)}}
- {{org.apache.tika.io.TikaInputStream#get(File, Metadata)}}

_tika-parsers:_
- {{org.apache.tika.parser.ParsingReader}} constructor
- {{org.apache.tika.parser.image.ImageMetadataExtractor#parseJpeg(File)}}
- {{org.apache.tika.parser.image.ImageMetadataExtractor#parseWebP(File)}}
- {{org.apache.tika.parser.mp4.DirectFileReadDataSource}} constructor

_tika-translate:_
- {{org.apache.tika.language.translate.ExternalTranslator#runAndGetOutput(String, String[],
File)}}

Due to lack of evidence, all public methods in public non-test classes (and not in tika-example)
are deemed part of a public API - although there's no formal definition of such.
If anyone knows of a public method which isn't accessed publicly and can be defined as package-private,
or for another reason, please comment.


  was:
In light of Java 7 already EOL, it's high time we add support for the new java.nio.file.Path
class introduced with it, which, together with support methods in java.nio.file.Files and
others, provide a better file I/O framework than java.io.File.

In just two cases, we have public methods in tika that only return a File object, and cannot
be overloaded, so a different name for the new method must be created:
- {{org.apache.tika.io.TemporaryResources#createTemporaryFile()}}
_Suggestions:_
-- addTemporaryFile
-- addTempFile
-- createTempFile
- {{org.apache.tika.io.TikaInputStream#getFile()}}
_Suggestions:_
-- asFile
-- toPath
-- getPath

In other cases, the methods accept a File as an argument, and should remain as tika users
might be using them - so an overloaded method that accepts a Path instead should be added,
deprecating the old method until an unknown tika major release.
Here is the full list of other methods:
_tika-app:_
- {{org.apache.tika.gui.TikaGUI#openFile(File)}}

_tika-batch:_
- {{org.apache.tika.batch.fs.FSUtil#getOutputFile(File, String, HANDLE_EXISTING, String)}}
- {{org.apache.tika.util.PropsUtil#getFile(String, File)}}
- {{org.apache.tika.batch.fs.FSDirectoryCrawler}} constructors
- {{org.apache.tika.batch.fs.FSDirectoryCrawler#handleFirstFileInDirectory(File)}}
- {{org.apache.tika.batch.fs.FSFileResource}} constructor
- {{org.apache.tika.batch.fs.FSListCrawler}} constructor
- {{org.apache.tika.batch.fs.FSOutputStreamFactory}} constructor
- {{org.apache.tika.batch.fs.FSUtil#checkThisIsAncestorOfOrSameAsThat(File, File)}}
- {{org.apache.tika.batch.fs.FSUtil#checkThisIsAncestorOfThat(File, File)}}
- {{org.apache.tika.batch.fs.strawman.StrawManTikaAppDriver}} constructor

_tika-core:_
- {{org.apache.tika.Tika#detect(File)}}
- {{org.apache.tika.Tika#parse(File)}}
- {{org.apache.tika.Tika#parseToString(File)}}
- {{org.apache.tika.config.TikaConfig}} constructors
- {{org.apache.tika.detect.NNExampleModelDetector}} constructor
- {{org.apache.tika.detect.TrainedModelDetector#loadDefaultModels(File)}}
- {{org.apache.tika.io.TemporaryResources#setTemporaryFileDirectory(File)}}
- {{org.apache.tika.io.TikaInputStream#get(File)}}
- {{org.apache.tika.io.TikaInputStream#get(File, Metadata)}}

_tika-parsers:_
- {{org.apache.tika.parser.ParsingReader}} constructor
- {{org.apache.tika.parser.image.ImageMetadataExtractor#parseJpeg(File)}}
- {{org.apache.tika.parser.image.ImageMetadataExtractor#parseWebP(File)}}
- {{org.apache.tika.parser.mp4.DirectFileReadDataSource}} constructor

_tika-translate:_
- {{org.apache.tika.language.translate.ExternalTranslator#runAndGetOutput(String, String[],
File)}}

Due to lack of evidence, all public methods in public non-test classes (and not in tika-example)
are deemed part of a public API - although there's no formal definition of such.
If anyone knows of a public method which isn't accessed publicly and can be defined as package-private,
or for another reason, please comment.



> Augment public methods that use a java.io.File with methods that use a java.nio.file.Path
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: TIKA-1726
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA-1726
>             Project: Tika
>          Issue Type: Improvement
>          Components: batch, core, gui, parser, translation
>            Reporter: Yaniv Kunda
>            Priority: Minor
>             Fix For: 1.11
>
>
> In light of Java 7 already EOL, it's high time we add support for the new java.nio.file.Path
class introduced with it, which, together with support methods in java.nio.file.Files and
others, provide a better file I/O framework than java.io.File.
> In just two cases, we have public methods in tika that only return a File object, and
cannot be overloaded, so a different name for the new method must be created:
> - {{org.apache.tika.io.TemporaryResources#createTemporaryFile()}}
> _Suggestions:_
> -- addTemporaryFile
> -- addTempFile
> -- createTempFile
> - {{org.apache.tika.io.TikaInputStream#getFile()}}
> _Suggestions:_
> -- asFile
> -- toPath
> -- getPath
> In other cases, the methods accept a File as an argument, and should remain as tika users
might be using them - so an overloaded method that accepts a Path instead should be added,
referencing the new method from the old one using (using the @see tag) deprecating the old
method until an unknown tika major release.
> Here is the full list of other methods:
> _tika-app:_
> - {{org.apache.tika.gui.TikaGUI#openFile(File)}}
> _tika-batch:_
> - {{org.apache.tika.batch.fs.FSUtil#getOutputFile(File, String, HANDLE_EXISTING, String)}}
> - {{org.apache.tika.util.PropsUtil#getFile(String, File)}}
> - {{org.apache.tika.batch.fs.FSDirectoryCrawler}} constructors
> - {{org.apache.tika.batch.fs.FSDirectoryCrawler#handleFirstFileInDirectory(File)}}
> - {{org.apache.tika.batch.fs.FSFileResource}} constructor
> - {{org.apache.tika.batch.fs.FSListCrawler}} constructor
> - {{org.apache.tika.batch.fs.FSOutputStreamFactory}} constructor
> - {{org.apache.tika.batch.fs.FSUtil#checkThisIsAncestorOfOrSameAsThat(File, File)}}
> - {{org.apache.tika.batch.fs.FSUtil#checkThisIsAncestorOfThat(File, File)}}
> - {{org.apache.tika.batch.fs.strawman.StrawManTikaAppDriver}} constructor
> _tika-core:_
> - {{org.apache.tika.Tika#detect(File)}}
> - {{org.apache.tika.Tika#parse(File)}}
> - {{org.apache.tika.Tika#parseToString(File)}}
> - {{org.apache.tika.config.TikaConfig}} constructors
> - {{org.apache.tika.detect.NNExampleModelDetector}} constructor
> - {{org.apache.tika.detect.TrainedModelDetector#loadDefaultModels(File)}}
> - {{org.apache.tika.io.TemporaryResources#setTemporaryFileDirectory(File)}}
> - {{org.apache.tika.io.TikaInputStream#get(File)}}
> - {{org.apache.tika.io.TikaInputStream#get(File, Metadata)}}
> _tika-parsers:_
> - {{org.apache.tika.parser.ParsingReader}} constructor
> - {{org.apache.tika.parser.image.ImageMetadataExtractor#parseJpeg(File)}}
> - {{org.apache.tika.parser.image.ImageMetadataExtractor#parseWebP(File)}}
> - {{org.apache.tika.parser.mp4.DirectFileReadDataSource}} constructor
> _tika-translate:_
> - {{org.apache.tika.language.translate.ExternalTranslator#runAndGetOutput(String, String[],
File)}}
> Due to lack of evidence, all public methods in public non-test classes (and not in tika-example)
are deemed part of a public API - although there's no formal definition of such.
> If anyone knows of a public method which isn't accessed publicly and can be defined as
package-private, or for another reason, please comment.



--
This message was sent by Atlassian JIRA
(v6.3.4#6332)

Mime
View raw message