From Jim Cheesman <jch...@msl.es>
Subject RE: Programming JSP Tag Libraries Book
Date Thu, 30 Nov 2000 16:29:58 GMT
At 17:12 30-11-00, you wrote:
>   I would like to see some solid practical patterns on how to do look and
>feel re-use with tags. Simple iterator tags give some abilities to a HTML
>developer but tags that take care of template stuff in a natural way is
>where the real power of the things are at.
>   Also, more advanced concepts like how to wrap off business logic from the
>JSP with tags would be nice. I see to many tag libraries and examples that
>should how to do a SQL query with tags and not enough examples of tags that
>represent data (a current user name tag for example). Tags should hide nasty
>back end logic from the view coder to allow them to concentrate on what they
>do best of developing a good look and feel.
>   I hope this is along the lines of what you were looking for. I would love
>to see a good O'Reilly book on Tags. They always have a good knack for
>teaching how to use something but they are still useful as a reference when
>you have finished reading them.
>   -Jeff Ward

Seconded!  I'd also add that the (apparently) obligatory chapter on JDBC
should be avoided - a couple of lines of code and some references to a few
useful webpages would be more appropriate.  (I've lost count of how many of
books have this chapter... ;)

Whoever it was who suggested a good "real-life" example was right on the
money - it would be useful to combine this with a couple of examples of how
the look and feel of a site may change with time, and how the tag libraries
can help deal with this.

Finally, something about providing various types of outputs - wml,
html/internet, html/intranet, etc. - is essential.

Best wishes,
Jim Cheesman

--

                           *   Jim Cheesman   *