From Henri Yandell <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JVM Crashed because of taglibs
Date Fri, 04 Mar 2005 14:03:24 GMT
On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 19:45:38 +0530, Vivek Kumar Gupta
<vkgupta@networkprograms.com> wrote:
> Hi Hen,
>
> today I have done some analysis about the JVM Crash:
> 1. Jakarta Taglibs are using the Sun XML parser.

Rather than the Sun XML parser, it's probably the Apache variants of
such jars. Ones very much like them were found in Sun's JDK 1.4.

> 2. Now on AIX Machine only IBM Java will run, which in turn will use XML4J
> i.e. ibm xml java parser.

75% sure of the below:

W3C XML spec jars.

thirdparty/jakarta-taglibs/standard-1.0.2/lib/dom.jar:
thirdparty/jakarta-taglibs/standard-1.0.2/lib/sax.jar:

Sun parser itself. Problem probably in here.

thirdparty/jakarta-taglibs/standard-1.0.2/lib/jaxp-api.jar:

These two are XPath implementations which sit on top of the other jars.

thirdparty/jakarta-taglibs/standard-1.0.2/lib/jaxen-full.jar:
thirdparty/jakarta-taglibs/standard-1.0.2/lib/saxpath.jar:

> Conclusion : So something is happening due to Sun XML parser.

Sounding much more likely, at least we're getting lower in the
technology stack and closer to the things that can blow up :)

> 3. question due to curiosity why Taglibs is not using consolidated xml java
> parser.

Probably due to version considerations. I can't recall exactly which
version of Java that the JSTL 1.0 spec targets, but I suspect it's
J2SE 1.2 and consolidated xml parsers weren't there in 1.2.

> if can guide something to avoid this JVM Crash please do suggest.

Not got a lot, my AIX experience is limited to figuring out how to
make an ftp server work.

Are you able to identify the snippet of JSTL in question which is
causing the crash? If so, then you can either post that here or dig
into the source code and extract the XML parsing code in question,
then get it running outside of a servlet container and hopefully have
a nice tight example of the bug with which to post about on Sun or
IBM's site.

Assuming it is the XML (and doubt is your best friend in these
situations), this list probably lacks the knowledge to help at that
stage, but we can help get there.

Hen