From Martin Cooper <mfncoo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: License conundrum
Date Fri, 06 May 2005 02:52:43 GMT
On 5/5/05, Patrick Heck <PHeck@camsys.com> wrote:
> I sent this question several days ago, about licensing... would this be
> better addressed to a dev list? I know that many Sun Jars are distributed
> with a license that allows redistribution with a product, but I want to be
> sure. Should I enter the lack of license documentation as a bug?
>
> -Gus
>
> Patrick G. Heck
> Cambridge Systematics, Inc.
> 100 CambridgePark Drive, Suite 400
> Cambridge, MA 02140
> tel  617 354 0167
> fax  617 354 1542
> e-mail  pheck@camsys.com
> www.camsys.com
>
> Patrick Heck/camsys wrote on 04/26/2005 01:42:27 AM:
>
> > I am somewhat confused by the jstl.jar distributed with 1.0.5 (I
> > have identified it as being at least the same # of bytes as the one
> > that I am trying to identify and document in our project, and since
> > we also have a jakarta-taglibs 1.0.5 jar I suspect we got this jstl.
> > jar from you :) ).
> >
> > It has a manifest.mf file as follows:
> >
> > Manifest-Version: 1.0
> > Ant-Version: Apache Ant 1.5.3
> > Created-By: 1.4.2-b28 (Sun Microsystems Inc.)
> > Specification-Title: JavaServer Pages Standard Tag Library (JSTL)
> > Specification-Version: 1.0
> > Implementation-Title: JavaServer Pages Standard Tag Library API Refere
> >  nce Implementation
> > Implementation-Version: 1.0.5
> > Implementation-Vendor: Sun Microsystems, Inc.
> > Implementation-Vendor-Id: com.sun
> > Extension-Name: javax.servlet.jsp.jstl
> >
> > I cannot find reference to 1.0.5, or it's license on sun's site

No, you wouldn't. The 1.0.5 version number is the version of the
Apache Jakarta Taglibs implementation of the JSTL 1.0 specification.
It's not a Sun version number.

> > I cannot find any license file relating to a Sun license. I have
> > noticed that other jars from apache are clearly implemented by
> > apache. For example:

I would hazard a guess that the values for 'Implementation-Vendor' and
'Implementation-Vendor-Id' are actually incorrect, and should
reference the ASF instead, since the Jakarta Taglibs implementation is
licensed under the ASL. However, since I'm not one of the JSTL
developers, I can't say definitively; hopefully one of the JSTL team
will chime in here.

--
Martin Cooper