From James Watkin <james.wat...@anderson.ucla.edu>
Subject fmt:setBundle Performance Pattern?
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2006 01:20:15 GMT
I'm revisiting some of my old JSP/JSTL code. I found that I used the
following pattern because I must of thought it was a good idea for
performance reasons. Do you think the test condition is really
necessary? If I don't do the test, will every page hit reload the
properties file, possibly from disk?

On every page*, should I use this:

<c:if test="${not applicationScope.bundleInitialized}">
     <fmt:setBundle scope="application" basename="ApplicationResources"/>
     <c:set var="bundleInitialized" scope="application" value="${true}"/>
</c:if>

or should I just use this instead?:

<fmt:setBundle scope="application" basename="ApplicationResources"/>

* I actually wouldn't have to explicitly put either option on every
page, I could include or import it from a separate file.

- Jim

James Watkin
ACIS Software Development
UCLA Anderson School