tomee-users mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Stateless Pool and Stateful Pool Timeouts
Date Fri, 18 Jul 2008 05:37:08 GMT

On Jul 17, 2008, at 5:29 AM, the666pack wrote:

> Hello,
>
> i have a question regarding timeout values in openejb as the
> documentation
> is somewhat sparse:
>
> the timeout for the stateless pool is defined as:
>
> "Specifies the time to wait between invocations. This
> value is measured in milliseconds. A value of 5 would
> result in a time-out of 5 milliseconds between invocations.
> A value of zero would mean no timeout."
>
> what exactly does the default value 0 now mean?

It looks like that value is no longer used.  It used to configure the
amount of time a thread should block while waiting for a instance from
the pool when strict pooling is used.  Zero was meant to imply "wait
for as long as it takes", i.e. indefinitely.  Agree that description
is terrible.

The code was updated between 3.0-beta-2 and 3.0 final to fix the
enforcement of the StrictPooling option.  Looks like the timeout got
left out of that refactor.  We definitely should update the code to
use the configurable timeout again.

> the timeout for the stateful pool is defined as:
>
> "Specifies the time to wait between invocations. This
> value is measured in minutes. A value of 5 would
> result in a time-out of 5 minutes between invocations.
> A value of zero would mean no timeout."
>
> is this the time before the bean is passivated or is this timeout
> before the
> bean gets removed from the container?

It's the amount of inactive time to wait until the bean instance is
destroyed.  A value of zero would mean bean instances are never
destroyed due to timeout.  Passivation is triggered when reaching the
PoolSize.  At that point, the BulkPassivate value defines how many
instances (oldest first) we will remove from the pool and passivate to
disk.   Afterwards the number of active instances will be X where 'X =
PoolSize - BulkPassivate'

We will definitely clean up those docs.  Thanks for asking for
clarification!

-David