From Uri Shachar <ushac...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: API Question
Date Fri, 15 Mar 2013 22:03:12 GMT
As a general comment -- There's no need to manipulate the nbytes every time you write to the
output.
If you call the initial TSVConnWrite with INT64_MAX, you just need to set the nbytes to the
final amount once (So the vconn will know to send you a WRITE_COMPLETE when it reaches this
amount).

If you know the real payload size before setting up the vconn, just call TSVConnWrite with
the real size and save yourself the hassle of adjusting the NBytes....

      Cheers,
                Uri

From: Steve.Owens@disney.com
To: users@trafficserver.apache.org
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 11:13:33 -0700
Subject: Re: API Question

Shaun,
Thanks to your input I was able to identify the source of the problem.
In my main handle transformation method I was declaring a local variable  int64_t nBytesWritten
= 0;
Then depending on what state I was in I was calling the appropriate handler sub method.  Each
of the sub methods returns the number of bytes written to the output by that method and I
was aggregating those values via
nBytesWritten += subMethodCall(…);
At the end of my handle transformation method I was calling:if (nBytesWritten > 0) {
                /* Modify the output
                 * VIO to reflect how much data the output connection should
                 * expect. This allows the output connection to know when it
                 * is done reading. We then reenable the output connection so
                 * that it can consume the data we just gave it.
                 */
                TSVIONBytesSet(data->output_vio, nBytesWritten);
                TSVIOReenable(data->output_vio);
}

At any rate this was working for small payloads but when the method was re-entered nBytesWritten
was being re-initialized to 0 and then incremented.  So the key is knowing that the value
of nBytesWritten must be accumulated across invocations of the transformation handler.
by making this value part of the transaction data, I am able to preserve it across the invocations
and the modified code:if (data->nBytesWritten > 0) {                /* Modify the output
                * VIO to reflect how much data the output connection should
  * expect. This allows the output connection to know when it                 * is done reading.
We then reenable the output connection so                 * that it can consume the data we
just gave it.                 */                TSVIONBytesSet(data->output_vio, data->nBytesWritten);
               TSVIOReenable(data->output_vio);}
I am worried though about what you said regarding it getting confused and sending a WRITE_COMPLETE
event pre-maturely.  Right now with my current test cases seem to be working as expected but
then again, it all seems like voodoo and black magic under the ATS hood and I don't know that
there isn't a test case which would break this.  I wish I could be more confident that the
code I am writing is going to work as intended under all cases.
For the moment however everything seems to work.  I am logging the values of the output nbytes
and ndone.  And it would seem that ndone is not getting incremented at all during the multiple
invocations of my transform handler.  Ideally what I would like to do is to have the down
stream output handler consume data as soon as it gets it from my transform, but not to stop
or terminate until I have finished sending ALL of my data downstream but I am afraid to breathe
on the code at this point until I find a breaking case which will mandate a change.
Thank you for your help, you have truly made my day.
Steve Owens