On May 24, 2017, at 2:52 PM, Dunkin, Nick <Nick.Dunkin@ccur.com> wrote:

Hi again,

This is great stuff, but it leads me to believe that I’ve totally overestimated my ram_cache.size setting.  And in fact, totally misunderstood the parameter.

Let me see if I understand what you’ve explained:

If I expect 5 of my ioBufAllocators to be in use during normal activity, then potentially I could see memory allocated to the level of (5 x ram_cache.size)?  Because each ioBufAllocator is bounded by ram_cache.size?
No, not really. I guess my example which was intended as worst case example may have confused things :)
Let's differentiate between:
“Allocated" Chunks: IO Buffer chunks that have been allocated by the ioBufAllocator, but not all of them are actually being used in RAM Cache.
"In-use” Chunks: Chunks that are in use in the RAM Cache, these are subset of the “allocated” chunks.
“Free” Chunks:  These contain the difference between the above two. When ioBufAllocator needs chunks of a particular size pool, it will try get it from the free list. If not available, only then new chunks are allocated from memory.
Allocated Chunks = In-use Chunks + Free Chunks

When buffer chunk is “de-alloced” from RAM cache, it is put back into the free chunk pool.

Ram Cache size parameter will limit the total “in-use” chunks, and this includes sum total size of the “in-use" chunks from all 15 pools. In general your traffic pattern should fall into steady state “plateau” such that all the “allocated” chunks doesn’t need to grow. But yes, sum total size of allocated chunks >= Ram cache size parameter. So it is best to keep some headroom in RAM.

I remember there was a way to dump the mem pools information  to traffic.out - maybe someone in the list can help.

Hope this doesn’t confuse things more :)

(Terminology I used above may not reflect what’s in the code)

In which case I need to reduce, or tune, my ram_cache.size by a factor of 5?

I have a large ram_cache.size (100gb), assuming it was allocated to one large reserve of memory, so I assume this understanding is naive?

Thanks again for all your assistance,

Nick