From John Rushford <jjrushf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Remap causing parent servers to not have a match
Date Fri, 08 May 2020 02:00:46 GMT
I’ll get a back port for this to 8.1

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 7, 2020, at 2:38 PM, Leif Hedstrom <zwoop@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> On May 7, 2020, at 2:21 PM, Miles Libbey <mlibbey@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Unfortunately, 9 is neither released nor stable yet :/
>
> Correct. Possibly someone can back port these changes to their 8.x tree  (I know others
have  :-) ).

>> Though we've not done it, I was thinking that you could use
>> parent.config's "primary ring" to get the traffic to the peer, but,
>> when down, sends it to itself through the secondary ring, and hitting
>> its parent rule.
>>
>> I'm also not entirely sure how the 9 feature works, but, I think the
>> primary benefit is that you wouldn't have to generate different
>> parent.config for each peer. (Whereas in my described version, peer1
>> would need peer2 in the parent list, and vice-versa for peer2. Both
>> could have 127.0.0.1 as their secondary ring)
>
> Right. That’s the point of this feature, one parent.config for the “cluster”, and
magic happens.

> — Leif
>

>>> On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 12:53 PM Josh Gitlin <jgitlin@pinnacle21.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks Leif! I am on 8.0.7, so maybe I should switch to 9
>>>
>>> Josh Gitlin
>>> Principal DevOps Engineer
>>> jgitlin@pinnacle21.com
>>>
>>> PINNACLE 21
>>> www.pinnacle21.com

>>> The more I dig into this, the more I realize I have gone horribly wrong somewhere,
as I seem to have just created an infinite parent proxy loop. So I may need to RTFM again
to fix this broken design! :)

>>> In ATS 9.x, there is a “self” detection mechanism for this exact purpose
(“cache cluster”). It prevents a box to parent a request that is hashing to itself.

>>> — Leif
>>>
>>> https://github.com/apache/trafficserver/pull/5544
>>>

>>> Josh Gitlin
>>> Principal DevOps Engineer
>>> jgitlin@pinnacle21.com
>>>
>>> PINNACLE 21
>>> www.pinnacle21.com

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Apologies if this was covered in the docs or a previous message; I couldn't find
an answer in my search.

>>> I am having an issue with remapping and parent caching. I have two Apache Traffic
Server instances for HA, and each one has the other configured as its parent cache. The goal
being a shared cache, because the two instances are behind a load balancer with leastconn
distribution.

>>> I am seeing an issue where cache misses on server B get forwarded to server A
with the remapped URL and server A refuses to serve because it does not recognize the URL
in it's remap config. (Error "ERR_INVALID_URL") I know I can resolve this by simply adding
the original URL to the remap config, but that felt like the wrong fix.