From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Remap causing parent servers to not have a match
Date Thu, 07 May 2020 20:38:04 GMT

> On May 7, 2020, at 2:21 PM, Miles Libbey <mlibbey@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Unfortunately, 9 is neither released nor stable yet :/

Correct. Possibly someone can back port these changes to their 8.x tree  (I know others have
 :-) ).

> Though we've not done it, I was thinking that you could use
> parent.config's "primary ring" to get the traffic to the peer, but,
> when down, sends it to itself through the secondary ring, and hitting
> its parent rule.
>
> I'm also not entirely sure how the 9 feature works, but, I think the
> primary benefit is that you wouldn't have to generate different
> parent.config for each peer. (Whereas in my described version, peer1
> would need peer2 in the parent list, and vice-versa for peer2. Both
> could have 127.0.0.1 as their secondary ring)

Right. That’s the point of this feature, one parent.config for the “cluster”, and magic
happens.

— Leif

> On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 12:53 PM Josh Gitlin <jgitlin@pinnacle21.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Leif! I am on 8.0.7, so maybe I should switch to 9
>>
>> Josh Gitlin
>> Principal DevOps Engineer
>> jgitlin@pinnacle21.com
>>
>> PINNACLE 21
>> www.pinnacle21.com
>>
>> On May 7, 2020, at 3:52 PM, Leif Hedstrom <zwoop@apache.org> wrote:
>>

>> On May 7, 2020, at 1:05 PM, Josh Gitlin <jgitlin@pinnacle21.com> wrote:
>>
>> The more I dig into this, the more I realize I have gone horribly wrong somewhere,
as I seem to have just created an infinite parent proxy loop. So I may need to RTFM again
to fix this broken design! :)

>> In ATS 9.x, there is a “self” detection mechanism for this exact purpose (“cache
cluster”). It prevents a box to parent a request that is hashing to itself.

>> — Leif
>>
>> https://github.com/apache/trafficserver/pull/5544
>>

>> Josh Gitlin
>> Principal DevOps Engineer
>> jgitlin@pinnacle21.com
>>
>> PINNACLE 21
>> www.pinnacle21.com
>>
>> On May 7, 2020, at 1:51 PM, Josh Gitlin <jgitlin@pinnacle21.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Apologies if this was covered in the docs or a previous message; I couldn't find
an answer in my search.

>> I am having an issue with remapping and parent caching. I have two Apache Traffic
Server instances for HA, and each one has the other configured as its parent cache. The goal
being a shared cache, because the two instances are behind a load balancer with leastconn
distribution.

>> I am seeing an issue where cache misses on server B get forwarded to server A with
the remapped URL and server A refuses to serve because it does not recognize the URL in it's
remap config. (Error "ERR_INVALID_URL") I know I can resolve this by simply adding the original
URL to the remap config, but that felt like the wrong fix.