From Miles Libbey <mlib...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Remap causing parent servers to not have a match
Date Thu, 07 May 2020 20:21:22 GMT
Unfortunately, 9 is neither released nor stable yet :/

Though we've not done it, I was thinking that you could use
parent.config's "primary ring" to get the traffic to the peer, but,
when down, sends it to itself through the secondary ring, and hitting
its parent rule.

I'm also not entirely sure how the 9 feature works, but, I think the
primary benefit is that you wouldn't have to generate different
parent.config for each peer. (Whereas in my described version, peer1
would need peer2 in the parent list, and vice-versa for peer2. Both
could have 127.0.0.1 as their secondary ring)

On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 12:53 PM Josh Gitlin <jgitlin@pinnacle21.com> wrote:

> Thanks Leif! I am on 8.0.7, so maybe I should switch to 9
>
> Josh Gitlin
> Principal DevOps Engineer
> jgitlin@pinnacle21.com
>
> PINNACLE 21
> www.pinnacle21.com
>
> On May 7, 2020, at 3:52 PM, Leif Hedstrom <zwoop@apache.org> wrote:
>

> On May 7, 2020, at 1:05 PM, Josh Gitlin <jgitlin@pinnacle21.com> wrote:
>
> The more I dig into this, the more I realize I have gone horribly wrong somewhere, as
I seem to have just created an infinite parent proxy loop. So I may need to RTFM again to
fix this broken design! :)

> In ATS 9.x, there is a “self” detection mechanism for this exact purpose (“cache
cluster”). It prevents a box to parent a request that is hashing to itself.

> — Leif
>
> https://github.com/apache/trafficserver/pull/5544
>

> Josh Gitlin
> Principal DevOps Engineer
> jgitlin@pinnacle21.com
>
> PINNACLE 21
> www.pinnacle21.com
>
> On May 7, 2020, at 1:51 PM, Josh Gitlin <jgitlin@pinnacle21.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> Apologies if this was covered in the docs or a previous message; I couldn't find an answer
in my search.

> I am having an issue with remapping and parent caching. I have two Apache Traffic Server
instances for HA, and each one has the other configured as its parent cache. The goal being
a shared cache, because the two instances are behind a load balancer with leastconn distribution.

> I am seeing an issue where cache misses on server B get forwarded to server A with the
remapped URL and server A refuses to serve because it does not recognize the URL in it's remap
config. (Error "ERR_INVALID_URL") I know I can resolve this by simply adding the original
URL to the remap config, but that felt like the wrong fix.