I'm still flat namespace. But I'm like, +0.1 on it.

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 3:36 PM Alan Carroll <solidwallofcode@verizonmedia.com> wrote:
Dang, you guys were all "flat name space!" at the hackathon.

As you can see from my example, I did clean up the name space a bit and removed a "config" from those (e.g. "proxy.config.http.cache" is the current name). We could remove "proxy" as well.

Sudheer's question is a good one that I"ve been pondering.

1) This would only be "records.config". It's too much to convert everything to YAML, but every file we change is one step closer to full YAML. ("Never go full YAML" - Leif)

2) Overrides would need to use the full name. For the flat style this is trivial because that's the same as the key name. For the tree, we'd need a notation to indicate descent along the objects. A simple rule would be to forbid a name to contain "." and then use "." as a separator that indicates to descend. Then the names would again be exactly as they are now and no changes would be needed. This isn't really any different from file system paths or FQDNs, so I don't think it will be a large hurdle for ATS ops people.