Probably best to make distinct files so that bucks.benco's header_rewrite file is different from gertrude.benco's. You can have it all in the same file, but, as you point out, you'd need to have an extra conditional line in each to match the host/path/whatever. Like:

cond %{REMAP_PSEUDO_HOOK}
cond %{CLIENT-URL:HOST} ="buck.benco.com"
  set-redirect 301 "http://..."

cond %{REMAP_PSEUDO_HOOK}
cond %{CLIENT-URL:HOST} ="gertrude.benco.com"
  set-redirect 301 "http://..."

Depending on what you need to do, you may end up with both -- like if you needed to have different rules for different file extensions, you probably can't get away with writing specific remap rules, and would need to have the above sort of pattern.
miles