trafodion-dev mailing list archives

From "D. Markt" <dmarkt7...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: Automatic restart of Cloudera/Hortonworks in Installer
Date Tue, 20 Oct 2015 18:43:32 GMT
Hi Amanda,

  I think we've all been annoyed when installing Windows updates and we're ask to restart
the system when we don't really understand why a restart is required given what was updated.
 Conversely, if an installer is installing a package that will not work without a reboot or
an application restart, not doing the restart will just waste more time when the application
fails to run successfully.  Are there times when Trafodion can be installed and run successfully
without restarting Cloudera/Hortonworks?  If not, then we should do the restart.

  That said, my recollection is it does seem a (very little) bit inconsistent that we prompt
the user if we want Trafodion to be started but don't prompt if the user wants us to restart
Cloudera/Hortonworks.  Given the installer does need sudo access one could envision one person
doing the installation for another person that then would restart Cloudera/Hortonworks before
trying to start Trafodion at a later time.  Likewise, I recall one time realizing that I would
prefer not to restart Cloudera/Hortonworks at the time because I was going to need to restart
it shortly anyway but given the current prompts all I could do was exit the installer or allow
the install to continue and have to restart the cluster twice.

  So I would probably vote for prompting if Cloudera/Hortonworks should be restarted.  Then
if not doing the restart is very likely to cause Trafodion to not start up, then I would make
the start Trafodion prompt default be "No" and if "Yes" is entered warn that without the Cloudera/Hortonworks
restart the Trafodion start is likely to fail.  If the Cloudera/Hortonworks restart isn't
required or it was done then keep the start Trafodion prompt default as "Yes".

  Now a question for you, when should a user indicate the Trafodion installation is an "upgrade"?
 Is that only appropriate for a new release of Trafodion that requires the metadata to be
upgraded?  Or can "upgrade" be used to update the software in its current location?

Thanks,
Dennis