trafodion-dev mailing list archives

From "D. Markt" <dmarkt7...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: Automatic restart of Cloudera/Hortonworks in Installer
Date Tue, 20 Oct 2015 19:17:41 GMT
  Yes, then given Cloudera/HDP must be restarted then an option to opt out is appropriate and
given your nice new video describing how to automate the installation an option to not do
the Cloudera/HDP restart or the Trafodion start makes sense.  That is, an operator might be
tasked with doing the install and would prefer to use the automated method and then later
someone else would both restart Cloudera/Hortonworks and start Trafodion.  Certainly I like
what we already have but if adding this option isn't too much effort and doesn't change the
flow too much, then it might have a use case.  We just need to make sure the user doesn't
circumvent the restart and then have to ponder why Trafodion won't start up given the restart
is a known requirement.

Thanks,
Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Amanda Moran [mailto:amanda.moran@esgyn.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2015 2:01 PM
To: dev <dev@trafodion.incubator.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Automatic restart of Cloudera/Hortonworks in Installer

Hi there Dennis-

Yes, Cloudera/Hortonworks MUST be restarted for Trafodion to start.
Cloudera/HDP has no way of knowing the hbase-trx*.jar file has been added without a restart...
without that no connection between Cloudera/Hortonworks and Trafodion can be established.

I like Steve's idea of making the restart automatic but allowing for a by-pass option of some
sort, if you really don't want a restart of Cloudera/Hortonworks and will start everything
including Trafodion at another time. (Does seem like a pretty special case.. if you ask me
:)) I will need to think on how the best way to do that is, but I like that idea.

Upgrade question: User does not need to worry about an upgrade. The installer determines that
and proceeds down the correct path.

Thanks all!

--
Thanks,