trafodion-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Birdsall <dave.birds...@esgyn.com>
Subject How the manuals are built for back releases
Date Thu, 26 May 2016 15:30:45 GMT
Hi,

At the moment, our Trafodion manuals are lagging the code a little bit.
(Thanks to Gunnar Tapper for his Herculean efforts to bring them up to
date.)

Even though the apache/master branch is now 2.1, we have been making
documentation changes for 2.0 to the apache/master branch.

This has the following effects:

1.       To build the Release 2.0 manuals, one has to build them on the
latest branch (apache/master), but manually change the environment
variables TRAFODION_VER to 2.0.0 and TRAFODION_VER_MINOR to 0.

2.       The mvn post-site build step requires Jar files for DCS and REST.
If one doesn’t already have them built in one’s committer instance, one has
to do a “make” to do this. But since the branch is apache/master, it
reflects the 2.1 content, not 2.0. That means the external documentation
for DCS and REST that goes into the 2.0.0 manuals will actually be 2.1.

This isn’t a problem at the moment because the externals have not diverged
much as far as I know. But it’s probably not something we want to rely on
in the long term.

I think we are OK for now; but I’d like to propose that at some point soon
we change our development practices so that there is a strict
correspondence between branches for documentation and code. So, for
example, after Release 2.1 is released, any changes to the Release 2.1
manuals would go on the apache/release2.1 branch rather than apache/master.
This still allows for development of 2.1 manuals to continue after the 2.1
code is released, but it does so with what I think is a cleaner build
process.

Comments?

Dave