uima-dev mailing list archives

From Jörn Kottmann <kottm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cas Viewer discussion
Date Thu, 31 Jul 2008 13:55:58 GMT
> I definitely think the CAS Editor and CAS Viewer should be merged, and
> I think the merged tool could become the primary tool for viewing and
> editing CASes.  We could refer to it in our documentation and
> tutorials, and it would become more popular than both the Document
> Analyzer and CAS Visual Debugger.  Of course, that'll be some work to
> pull off...

I also think so. In my opinion we should create a new plugin
which has the responsibility of viewing and editing of CAS files.
This new plugin should offer an API for opening an eclipse editor
which shows a CAS file, these editors would be for now the
CAS Editor and the CAS Viewer.
This API can the be used by the RCP CAS Editor and a new UIMA
development
plugin to show a CAS file.

This new plugin can also be used by others for integration into UIMA
related products.

The CAS Editor and the CAS Viewer have a different style of viewing a
CAS file.
The CAS Editor shows the text of the document in one editor with
annotations
and exposes other informations about the CAS in multiple views.
The CAS Viewer shows the text and all other available informations
about the CAS
in one editor.

In my opinion the way the CAS Editor solves this is superior to the
way the CAS Viewer
does it, because it makes it easier to reuse existing code and uses
more space of the screen which
makes it easier to see the contents of the CAS.
Sure this means that there is always a special eclipse perspective for
viewing CAS files.
Thats only what I think.

Jörn