uima-dev mailing list archives

From Thilo Götz <twgo...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: packaging dependencies with distributions
Date Wed, 12 May 2010 11:44:41 GMT

On 5/12/2010 11:44, Tommaso Teofili wrote:
> 2010/5/12 Thilo Götz <twgoetz@gmx.de>
>

>> IMO, we should explicitly list the dependencies we ship.
>> Otherwise every release we'll have a lot of work checking
>> that our packages don't contain any unwanted libraries.
>>

> I am +1, how would you suggest to do that? Apart from the POM dependencies
> list would you put them inside (for example) the README file or something
> else?

In the POM is fine.  I just meant we should list them
for ourselves, as developers, so we know and have control
over what we introduce as dependencies.

For our users, we have the usual NOTICE and LICENSE files,
where we list 3rd party software that we bring with us.
Those we need to maintain anyway; and listing the dependencies
in the POM makes that task easier and less error prone.  When
you have to add dependencies manually in the POM, it reminds
you to update the NOTICE and LICENSE files at the same time.
At least the release manager will have an easier job making
sure those files are up to date.

--Thilo